Monday, September 10, 2012

Food Glorious Food

Well, being here at AUS, there are multiple food options and a standard meal plan is not one of them.  Today its spaghetti and sauce, although it is the first time I've need to fix food (cereal isn't a real meal).  There have been several lunch/dinner type events for exchange/new AUS students. 

I was really pleased with the pricing in the mini-mart nearest to my dorm.  Since it is a college campus and the mini-mart is convenient, I thought that the food/stuff within would be snack food and over priced.  I was wrong on both accounts.  The min mart has household items, like towels, razors, and paper towels as well as a fairly varied grocery side.  It doesn't contain many fresh fruits and vegetables, but it has a few and some frozen items to chose from as well. 

Besides the mini-mart there is also a Carrefour fairly near to campus.  Carrefour is a French version of Walmart.  It has just about everything.  When we made a trip to one of the malls in Dubai, the Carrefour there is where I got my phone along with a few other miscellaneous items.  A few of the other exchange students have shared cabs to get there and back.  They've told me its about a 10 dirham cost one way.  During the school year, there is also a bus that goes from the university to the grocery store.  As of now I don't know times, but I think someone said it is free, so it will be something else to try out.

If I don't want to fix food, there is always the many options of restaurants on campus.  There are the usual fast food, such as Burger King, Subway, Dunkin' Donuts, and Starbucks.  In addition to this there is Delimarche which reminds me of cafetaria style food, but in large portions.  Then there is also Al Mawardi, which I haven't eaten at, but I've been told is very good option for lunch.

With all the food options, I had better start making a list of what to fix this week, so I can get food for meals this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment